Learn to Use your Flash – Speedlight Workshop
Using flash in photography can mean the difference between making the image or breaking it completely. For more on the style known as ‘strobism’, come and join us to gain valuable skills and experience using your speedlight on and off camera.
This course is designed for DSLR users who want to develop a more creative style using speedlight flash working in a variety of different situations, including photographing a model during the afternoon to gain experience for family portrait sessions.
What your day includes
- Initial flash introduction to cover the basics
- Flash/camera settings from fill to creative lighting
- First curtain and second curtain flash effects
- Lighting techniques for portraits, fashion and street photography
The classroom lecture during first part of the day will give you the groundwork and understanding in order to use your new skills. There’s a chance to try small studio still life set ups and we’re then on location around the Highfields Lake and Science Park, which form a fantastic backdrop to your image making. You will need to be confident with your ISO, shutter speed and aperture control in order to get the most from this day.
* Images 3, 5 and 11 by courtesy of Bob Stickings
* Image 4 by courtesy of Joe Cowley
* Images 7, 8 and 12 by courtesy of Sarah Weaver